Breastfeeding is such a beautiful thing. It brings such closeness to momma and baby and provides the perfect bonding opportunity. Breast milk is also the single best food for your baby, nothing even compares nutrition-wise. It contains the exact antibodies that your baby needs for immune protection, not to mention it raises baby’s IQ! There are many benefits to breastfeeding for baby and momma. Stay tuned for the next article on those said benefits!
Unfortunately, many women struggle with low milk supply. This can be because of many factors including poor nutrition, dehydration, going back to work, and stress! Low supply can be devastating if you plan to exclusively breast feed your baby. Here’s a recipe for yummy cookies that have ingredients like oats, flax and brewers yeast that are well known foods for boosting milk supply.
Tip: Eat these during those middle of the night feedings to keep your energy and stamina up!
Gluten Free Lactation Cookies
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup ground flax
- 1/4 cup brewers yeast (nutritional yeast works too)
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar or raw honey
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp. sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup chocolate pieces (dairy free)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare two baking sheets with parchment paper. In a large mixing bowl, combine the almond flour, oats, flax, brewers yeast, salt and baking soda and mix well.
- In another mixing bowl, mix together the eggs, coconut sugar, banana, vanilla and coconut oil. Combine the wet and dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Stir in the sesame seeds and chocolate pieces. Drop rounded tablespoon size mounds on the baking sheets, flatten slightly with back of a spoon and bake for 14-16 minutes. Makes 24 cookies.