It’s that time of year again. Cold and flu season. Coughs, sore throat, fever, chills and runny noses, no fun! Here are some great natural remedies that I’ve been using for years to combat illness, although I rarely get sick! (Knock on wood!)
I try to keep my immune system strong by eating a clean, real-food diet, watching my sugar intake, supplementing with vitamin D, getting optimal sleep and keeping stress levels low. I also use some of these remedies to prevent illness when those around me are infected.
- Ginger- Drink as a tea for amazing immune boosting properties. Also helps with nausea, motion sickness, digestion and inflammation.
- Healing Bone Broth- Drink bone broth made from grass fed, organic bones and organic veggies. It’s the best way to get loads of easily digestible nutrients into your body when sick.
- Raw Honey– Soothes coughs, aids digestion, is anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal.
- Echinacea– This popular herb is used for boosting immunity, relieving pain, reducing inflammation, and it’s anti-viral and antioxidant benefits.
- Turmeric- Contains curcumin that has powerful anti-inflammatory and anti-viral benefits.
- Epsom Salt– Use in a bath to detox the body and draw out impurities. It will reduce stress, improve circulation and reduce inflammation.
- Lemon Water- Drink daily for it’s detoxifying abilities. It’s also loaded with immune-boosting vitamin C to keep you cold and flu free.
- Coconut Oil– This super-food is anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal. Boost your immune system with 1-3 tablespoons a day.
- Elderberry Tea or Syrup– Excellent at boosting immunity, reducing a fever, fight viral infections, alleviate aches and pains and reduce inflammation.
- Vitamin D- When you’re not getting optimal sunlight during the winter months, supplement with vitamin D3 for it’s immune protecting properties.
- Green Tea– Drink a cup or 2 daily for immune boosting catechins found in the tea that prevent oxidation of the cells.
- Garlic- Fights infection with allicin, a compound that is anti-microbial, anti-viral and anti-bacterial. Crush a fresh clove of garlic and let steep in boiling water for 5 minutes for a tea or take as a supplement for added protection.
- Onion- Onions are expectorants, they loosen mucus that can cause a cough. They contain quercetin that reduces inflammation and are also anti-viral.
- Apple Cider Vinegar– Cure a cough quickly by drinking a tablespoon of ACV mixed with some honey and a little bit of water. Repeat throughout the day.
- Licorice Root– Great for the immune system and it’s known effects on the throat and cough.
- Fermented Foods- They contain beneficial probiotics that keep your gut healthy and in turn keep your immune system functioning optimally. Think sauerkraut, kimchee, kefir and kombucha.
- Essential Oils– There are many that are great for boosting immunity such as: lemon, frankincense, eucalyptus, peppermint, lavender, rosemary and tea tree.
- Humidifier– Helps keep the air moist so you cough less.
- Fermented Cod Liver Oil– Take this to boost your levels of vitamins A and D which are essential for a strong immune system.
- Baking Soda- Add 1-2 tsp. to a half cup of water and drink. Repeat several times a day to increase alkalinity. It balances the pH of the body and allows the body to heal itself.
What do you do to prevent the cold and flu throughout the year?