These muffins have a kick. Kind of like a karate chop right to your throat. Not really. Just the right amount of kick though.
They leave a slight tingle in the back of your throat after you’ve swallowed a delectable little bite.
They are different than your average chocolate muffin. They’re sassy. They flirt with you, make you want more.
The secret ingredient is cayenne pepper. Cayenne is magical. Let’s find out why.
- Cayenne pepper is great for cleansing and detoxifying the body. It stimulates circulation and enhances blood flow. Cayenne pepper also increases the pulse of our lymphatic and digestive rhythms. By heating up the body, the natural process of detoxification is streamlined. Cayenne also causes us to sweat, which is another important process of detoxification.
- Cayenne supports weight loss by acting as an appetite suppressant. Cayenne is also a great metabolic-booster, so it aids the body in burning excess amounts of fats.
- Cayenne has anti-bacterial properties and has been used traditionally for food preservation to prevent spoilage.
- Capsaicin in cayenne helps provide joint support for inflammatory conditions like arthritis.
- Cayenne improves digestion and can provide oral health by stimulating the production of saliva.
- Cayenne pepper is beneficial for heart health. It helps reduce atherosclerosis, encourages fibrinolytic activity and prevents factors that lead to the formation of blood clots, all of which can help reduce the chances of a heart attack or stroke.
- Prevent migraines with cayenne pepper. By stimulating a pain response in another area of the body, cayenne can cause the brain to revert it’s attention to the other area, thus lessoning the perception of pain.
- Use cayenne to heal from the common cold or flu. It aids in breaking up and moving congested mucus.
- Cayenne also has the ability to ease upset stomach, ulcers, sore throats, spasmodic and irritating coughs and diarrhea.
While it’s generally used in savory-type dishes, cayenne is the superstar in this sweet and moist chocolate muffin.
Spicy Double Chocolate Muffins
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 3 ripe bananas, peeled
- 1 tbsp honey, maple syrup, coconut sugar or sweetener of choice
- 3 eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup almond flour
- 3 tbsp coconut flour
- 1/4 cup raw cacao
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
Directions: Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Combine the bananas, coconut oil, honey, eggs and vanilla in a food processor and pulse until combined. Pulse in almond flour, coconut flour, raw cacao, cinnamon, cayenne, salt and baking soda. Mix until well combined. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour into a greased muffin pan, makes about 10. Bake for 23-25 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Makes 10.